Queensland Treasury and Trade is focussed on restoring Queensland's position of financial strength through managing a fiscal strategy underpinned by the Government's four principles.
The four principles are:
- to stabilise then significantly reduce debt
- to achieve and maintain a General Government sector fiscal balance by 2014-15
- to maintain a competitive tax environment for business
- to target full funding of long term liabilities in accordance with actuarial advice.
To deliver this strategy, Queensland Treasury and Trade's role is to:
- deliver the Queensland State Budget with a strong focus on fiscal repair and consolidation
- provide sound and timely advice on the State's economy to the Treasurer and other key stakeholders
- manage the State's revenue base in a competitive and sustainable tax environment
- assist Queensland companies to increase their global competitiveness and expand markets
- coordinate regulatory and sectoral reform across Government to enhance productivity and reduce red tape
- provide research, advice and direction to support the Government's objectives in economic, regulatory and sectoral reform and governance
- investigate and evaluate funding, procurement and delivery models for the State's infrastructure.
Last reviewed 22 November 2013