North Stradbroke Island Workers Assistance Scheme
The Queensland Government is committed to supporting affected workers find alternative employment, preferably within the local area, and to support the ongoing economic viability of the North Stradbroke Island (NSI) community, following the passing of the North Stradbroke Island Protection and Sustainability and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2015 to phase out sand mining on NSI by 2019.
The North Stradbroke Island Workers Assistance Scheme (WAS) will assist affected workers, employed by Sibelco, made redundant at the company’s operations on NSI (including the Pinkenba processing plant), to transition to alternative career pathways.
The WAS comprises the following elements:
- Job search support
- Training and skills support
- Housing assistance
- Commuting subsidy
- Dislocation assistance
- Income supplementation
- Employer wage subsidy.
Access the full guidelines and financial assistance eligibility criteria - North Stradbroke Island Workers Assistance Scheme (PDF 180 K). For further information, see the resources section
To apply for assistance or for further information contact the Employment Services Manager, email email@example.com or phone 07 3415 2349.
- North Stradbroke Island Workers Assistance Scheme Guidelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Additional Support Services Factsheet
- Timing of Access to Assistance
- Eligibility Summary Table
- Employee Application Form - Housing assistance, commuting subsidy, income supplementation and dislocation assistance
- Training and Skills Support Application Form
- Commuting Subsidy Claim Form
- Employer wage subsidy application
[To be added in Feb 2017]